I had the preschool coop again last week. I taught our lesson this week on air. We discussed air and stood under the ceiling fan and felt the air blowing on us. We talked about how air takes up space and I blew up a balloon so we could see how the air was taking up space in the balloon. I also filled up the balloon with water so they could see the differences and similarities of liquids and gases. The air and water both took up space, but the water made the balloon heavy, and the air made the balloon light.
I filled a bowl with water and put a cup into it upside down. I tipped the cup to slowly let air bubbles out of the cup. I explained that the air was inside the cup, and when I tipped the cup, the air would come out and water would go in. I showed the children how a paper towel that was dry when it was in the air, would get soggy when I put it in the water. Then I stuffed a paper towel into the cup and asked them what they thought would happen if I put the cup into the water upside down. They all thought the paper towel would get wet. When they saw that it was dry, I explained that the air trapped inside of the cup kept the water out and the paper towel dry. Then I put the cup back in the water and tipped it so that some of the air escaped. I showed them that when the air was gone, the paper towel would get wet. Then we had an explore time where everyone had a chance to put their cups in the water and make air bubbles come out.




2 comments:
HOW SMART! I love that idea. Sounds like so much fun. I have our co-op next week. Yay!
Sounds like you are really enjoying your kids. I love it!
Post a Comment