Meet the Burbanks

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

A Milestone





There are several big milestones that we reach in life. One of them is high school graduation, marriage is another, then your first child is born. . . finally, you buy your first minivan! I guess Ben and I have now reached that milestone. We have graduated from our small sedan lifestyle and have entered the realms of soccer mom and dad. With two kids, one on the way, and family living far away, we definitely needed to make this purchase.

We were able to get this van for so little that even we could afford it in our current circumstances. It is a 2001 Honda Odyssey with a little over 100,000 miles. I thought it would take a while for me to get used to driving a van. I fully expected to look back on my sedan days with fondness while grudgingly manuevering the boat. On the contrary, I have taken to driving a van like I was born to it. I love this van! Being so high up is an unusual thing for me and I am enjoying the view. It doesn't seem big or cumbersome, so that is a relief. It is also the first car I have owned that has a cd player. That has been fun.

Here's where the kids sit, for now. Layne loves the van. When ever we go anywhere, he chants, "to the ban, ban, ban!" (Ban is his word for van.) He also will point to it randomly and announce, "It's a ban! It's ours." They both love the sliding doors which are automatic. They like to open and close them over and over again, much to Mom and Dad's irritation.
Spacious storage area.
Lots of room.
Dash with climate controlled air conditioning and a cd player. Woohoo!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

looks really nice!! I don't know if Josh will ever drive a van! Maybe one day though. But I'm prett sure we'll keep a car til we max that out.

Terry Family said...

Congratulations on the van (ban). We decided to upgrade to a mini-van about a year ago for more room. We got a Chevy Uplander, it is more sporty, SUV looking then van looking. I have enjoyed it. I hope you make all the good road trip memories in your new van.

P.S. Since I went into the Harry Potter movie with the attitude I did it actually surprised me. I liked it very much and turned out better then I expected.

Morgen said...

We have had a van for almost 4 years now and I love it..makes me feel so grownup:)
Peter and I always joke that when we go out without the kids..people probably think he borrowed his mom's car to take out his girlfriend:)
congrats on entering the minivan world!

LaDawn said...

Awesome!

~Lynette